Current:Home > ContactRekubit-Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -Wealth Empowerment Academy
Rekubit-Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 12:53:21
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have Rekubitagain been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (93)
Related
- A South Texas lawmaker’s 15
- Geoengineering Faces a Wave of Backlash Over Regulatory Gaps and Unknown Risks
- Former state senator Tom Campbell drops bid for North Dakota’s single U.S. House seat
- How will the Baltimore bridge collapse affect deliveries? What to know after ship collision
- Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
- In first, an Argentine court convicts ex-officers of crimes against trans women during dictatorship
- DJT had a good first day: Trump's Truth Social media stock price saw rapid rise
- Frantic text after Baltimore bridge collapse confirms crew OK: 'Yes sir, everyone is safe'
- Whoopi Goldberg is delightfully vile as Miss Hannigan in ‘Annie’ stage return
- Los Angeles Rams signing cornerback Tre'Davious White, a two-time Pro Bowler
Ranking
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- Earth just experienced a severe geomagnetic storm. Here's what that means – and what you can expect.
- Singer Duffy Breaks 3-Year Social Media Silence After Detailing Rape and Kidnapping
- How to watch surprise 5th episode of 'Quiet on Set' featuring Drake Bell and other stars
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- When does 'American Horror Story: Delicate' Part 2 come out? How to watch new episodes
- What to know about the Francis Scott Key Bridge collapse in Baltimore that left at least 6 presumed dead
- Brittany Mahomes Shares She's Struggling With Hives and Acne in New Makeup-Free Selfies
Recommendation
The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore collapses after being struck by cargo ship; 6 people still missing
What to know about the Francis Scott Key Bridge collapse in Baltimore that left at least 6 presumed dead
DJT had a good first day: Trump's Truth Social media stock price saw rapid rise
Travis Hunter, the 2
You might spot a mountain lion in California, but attacks like the one that killed a man are rare
Jake Paul, Mike Tyson take their fight to social media ahead of Netflix bout
Sean “Diddy” Combs Breaks Silence After Federal Agents Raid His Homes